Vietnamese language courses
The Faculty of Vietnamese Studies and Language was founded in 1968 within the University of Social Sciences and Humanities, part of the Viet Nam National University in Hanoi. The Faculty is the largest and the most experienced Faculty for foreigners interested in studying Vietnamese. The Faculty also has a close relationship with other institutes, centres and faculties in Vietnam as well as in many foreign countries.
If you are looking for a course in Vietnamese Language and Culture, please take a look at the information below to help you reach a decision on where to study.
Why choose The Faculty of Vietnamese Studies and Language?
- The Faculty has a reputation for high quality, professional courses.
- Among the thousands of former international students, many students became worldwide renowned Vietnamese studies researchers, experienced diplomats and especially, 10 people became the Ambassadors in Vietnam.
- The faculty provides you with professionally-experienced native-speaking Vietnamese teachers who will help you to achieve your best results.
- The faculty has flexible learning options, with many classes, class sizes and levels.
- Flexible choices and learning fees
The faculty provides two programmes:
1. Bachelor programme: 4 years (8 semesters)
There are two undergraduate training programmes in Vietnamese studies and Vietnamese language and and culture for foreigners. Foreigners interested in these programs must complete the upper secondary programme and have a good command of Vietnamese (about Intermediate). Students will acquire a framework of basic knowledge in the social sciences and humanities such as a basic grounding in linguistics and comparative culture; Vietnamese history, economics, literature, etc.
2. Vietnamese Language Courses
- Elementary Vietnamese courses equip students with a basic knowledge of phonetics; help learners to understand how to pronounce the Vietnamese language as Hanoi people do; provide learners with basic sentence structures and everyday vocabulary and phrase.
- These courses also equip students with other Vietnamese language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing at the elementary level.
- Upon the completion of elementary courses, students can use Vietnamese language in daily conversations, can read and write short essays in Vietnamese.
- Intermediate Vietnamese language courses are designed to equip learners with Vietnamese in everyday settings and other specific conversation contexts; to provide learners with more specialised vocabulary by offering longer and more difficult reading passages and to provide more intensive knowledge of morphology and syntax;
- Intermediate courses also provide learners with skills in everyday and context specific conversations; equip them with skills to read different types of documents in Vietnamese to compose longer, compound sentences and to write more complex essays.
- After completing their courses, learners are capable of conducting everyday conversations and participating in school activities. Those who complete intermediate courses can participate in discussions of their school majors, can read different types of documents and can write essays on a range of different topics.
- Advanced Vietnamese language courses equip learners with basic knowledge of grammar, vocabulary…; provide knowledge of Vietnamese history, culture, economics, literature etc. relating to Vietnamese everyday activities and cultural traditions.
- These courses equip students with advanced skills in listening, reading, speaking and writing, teaching Vietnamese language as a second language; and skills in preparing materials to introduce Vietnamese language such as Vietnamese textbooks and Vietnamese dictionaries.
- Those who complete intensive Vietnamese courses are capable of working in various fields such as teaching and conducting research on Vietnamese language, working at universities, colleges and centres which offer Vietnamese language programmes. They are also able to work as interpreters, translators, and employees at media agencies and embassies in Vietnam and abroad. These courses also enable learners to pursue their studies and participate in various subjects in school in Vietnam.